The following public transport services are permitted under transport, storage and communication services:
- Public rail, minibus taxi and bus services will resume at Alert Levels and on terms as will be set out in Directions, based on the progressive increase in commuter numbers during the various phases.
- E- hailing services subject to restrictions on capacity and times, and for permitted activities only.
In addition, transport services for persons rendering essential services and goods, and transportation of patients is listed as essential service.
Health and Safety
No person will be allowed to use any form of public transport if they do not wear a cloth mask or cover their nose and mouth. For more about safety measures and public transport click here
All persons who are able to work from home should do so.
Anybody falling under the specific activities mentioned above can work outside the home and can travel to and from work under Alert Level 4.
This is subject to:
– Strict health protocols, and social distancing rules;
– Phased-in return to work to enable measures to make the workplace is COVID-ready
– Returning to work to be done in a manner that avoids and reduces risks of infection.
Anybody that is permitted to work outside their home under Level 4 must carry a Permit to Perform an Essential or Permitted Service (click here to download), issued by the head of the company or institution. This permit must always be accompanied by identification.
The Department of Small Business Development may issue further Directions related to small and micro enterprises, co-operatives, informal traders and spaza shops. (This question will be updated if such Directions are issued).
This is set out in the Disaster Management Regulations issued on 29 April 2020, available here.