The following business activities within the financial and business services sector are permitted unless otherwise specified:
- Employees in this sector should work from home where possible.
- Essential financial services may operate, subject to directions issued by the relevant Cabinet member, including the following services necessary to maintain the functioning of a financial system as defined in section 1(1) of the Financial Sector Regulation Act, only when the operation of a place of business or entity is necessary to continue to perform those services:
- the banking environment (including the operations of mutual banks, cooperative banks, cooperative financial institutions and the Postbank),
- the payments environment;
- the financial markets (including market infrastructures licensed under the Financial Markets Act, 2012 (Act No. 19 of 2012);
- the insurance environment;
- the savings and investment environment;
- pension fund administration;
- outsourced administration;
- medical schemes administration; and
- additional services designated in terms of regulation 11B (4A) (C)(i)
The services listed above may not include debt collection services.
- Services necessary for the provision of social grants
- Implementation of payroll systems
- Private security services may operate
- Car sales under specific directions
- Chauffeur services, rental of motor vehicles, driven vehicles, machinery and equipment, and of goods to support other Alert Level 4 services.
- Call centres, for local and all international markets, may operate subject to directions issued by the relevant cabinet members.
- Other professional services may operate only where work-from-home is not possible, and only to support other Alert Level 4 services.
Anybody in the sector that are able to work from home during Alert Level 4 should do so.
Anybody falling under the specific activities mentioned above can work outside the home and can travel to and from work under Alert Level 4.
This is subject to:
– Strict health protocols, and social distancing rules;
– Phased-in return to work to enable measures to make the workplace is COVID-ready
– Returning to work to be done in a manner that avoids and reduces risks of infection.
Anybody that is permitted to work outside their home under Level 4 must carry a Permit to Perform an Essential or Permitted Service (click here to download), issued by the head of the company or institution. This permit must always be accompanied by identification.
The Department of Small Business Development may issue further Directions related to small and micro enterprises, co-operatives, informal traders and spaza shops. (This question will be updated if such Directions are issued).
This is set out in the Disaster Management Regulations issued on 29 April 2020, available here.