This FAQ relates to Alert Level 4. For more information about accommodation services under Alert Level 3, please click here.
According to the Disaster Management Act Regulations (“Lockdown Regulations”) published on 25 March 2020, and amended on 2 April 2020, hotels, lodges, and guest houses are closed to the public, except to the extent that they are required to stay open to accommodate for remaining tourists that are confined to such establishments, and for persons from another metropolitan area, district or province permitted to travel to a funeral.
In addition, the Lockdown Regulations list accommodation used for persons rendering essential services, quarantine and isolation as an essential service.
On 2 April 2020, the Department of Tourism published Directions to provide guidance on the implementation of the provisions relating to accommodation establishments rendering an essential service. The Directive includes food services within accommodation in the definition of “accommodation”.
The Direction states that all hotels, lodges and guest houses, game reserves and holiday resorts as stipulated in Annex D of the Lockdown Regulations, must adhere to the following:
- Employers must ensure that all employees at such establishments are trained on the COVID-19 health protocols;
- Employers must ensure that their employees have personal protective equipment (PPE);
- Employers must provide all employees rendering essential services with accommodation onsite to enable them to remain in the establishment for the entire lockdown period
- Western Cape Business to contact Lindy Cambouris (021 483 6527) to register on the database
- An accommodation establishment confirmed or designated as a quarantine or isolation facility, is not permitted to render services to any other person besides the people quarantined, isolated or essential service employees therein.
If your establishment is providing services to airline crew members:
According to the Department of Tourism Directive published on 3 April 2020, only approved hotels which provide services related to the lockdown, other than quarantine or isolation, within airport precincts of O.R. Tambo, King Shaka and Cape Town International Airport, will be allowed to host airline crew for
- cargo flights bringing essential supplies, or
- flights that are authorised for the evacuation of international tourists.
To find out more about requirements to operate as an essential service during the lockdown, click here.
Find more information here about the Permit to Perform an Essential Service that needs to be filled in.