I have an accommodation establishment with guests, may my staff come in during lockdown?

Home » Travel » I have an accommodation establishment with guests, may my staff come in during lockdown?

Published: March 26, 2020

This FAQ relates to Alert Level 4.  For more information about accommodation services under Alert Level 3, please click here.


According to the Disaster Management Act Regulations (“Lockdown Regulations”) published on 25 March 2020, and amended on 2 April 2020, hotels, lodges, and guest houses are closed to the public, except to the extent that they are required to stay open to accommodate for remaining tourists that are confined to such establishments, and for persons from another metropolitan area, district or province permitted to travel to a funeral.

In addition, the Lockdown Regulations list accommodation used for persons rendering essential services, quarantine and isolation as an essential service.

On 2 April 2020, the Department of Tourism published Directions to provide guidance on the implementation of the provisions relating to accommodation establishments rendering an essential service. The Directive includes food services within accommodation in the definition of “accommodation”.

The Direction states that all hotels, lodges and guest houses, game reserves and holiday resorts as stipulated in Annex D of the Lockdown Regulations, must adhere to the following:

  1. Employers must ensure that all employees at such establishments are trained on the COVID-19 health protocols;
  2. Employers must ensure that their employees have personal protective equipment (PPE);
  3. Employers must provide all employees rendering essential services with accommodation onsite to enable them to remain in the establishment for the entire lockdown period
  4. Western Cape Business to contact Lindy Cambouris (021 483 6527) to register on the database
  5. An accommodation establishment confirmed or designated as a quarantine or isolation facility, is not permitted to render services to any other person besides the people quarantined, isolated or essential service employees therein.

If your establishment is providing services to airline crew members:

According to the Department of Tourism Directive published on 3 April 2020, only approved hotels which provide services related to the lockdown, other than quarantine or isolation, within airport precincts of O.R. Tambo, King Shaka and Cape Town International Airport, will be allowed to host airline crew for

  • cargo flights bringing essential supplies, or
  • flights that are authorised for the evacuation of international tourists.

To find out more about requirements to operate as an essential service during the lockdown, click here.

Find more information here about the Permit to Perform an Essential Service that needs to be filled in.




Best Practice

The boatbuilding industry’s response to COVID-19 in South Africa

The boatbuilding industry’s response to COVID-19 in South Africa

To reach a port, we must set sail.   Like most industries in South Africa, the boatbuilding sector faced severe job losses with order books in limbo due to harsh lockdown measures.  The industry jumped into action. Boatbuilding is an artisanal occupation that...

HealthTech Resilience Only in an Emergency

HealthTech Resilience Only in an Emergency

The health and safety of staff, and customers, during this time is paramount. For medical services like dental practices, it can be difficult to turn people away in an emergency, but Medicross turned to a screening process to help alleviate the pressure. Patients were...

Business Resilience: Panic buyers kept in line

Business Resilience: Panic buyers kept in line

Panic buying at shops across the country has resulted in empty shelves at many retailers, including health and wellness stores like Clicks and Dischem, as consumers look to stock up on essential supplies such as medicine and hygiene products. Both Clicks and Dischem...

More travel FAQS

Under what circumstances may I travel between provinces under Alert Level 3?

May I travel between provinces under Alert Level 3? Under Alert Level 3, movement of people between provinces are prohibited, except for: Travel in the course of work permitted under Level 3. Documentation required: Form 2 of Annexure...

What self-regulating guidelines has the tourism industry developed to operate under Alert Level 3 and 2?

What self-regulating guidelines has the tourism industry developed to operate under Alert Level 3 and 2?   The South African tourism industry has developed comprehensive protocols for the operation of all types of tourism businesses and...

I am a business traveller, where can I find a list of open accommodation under Alert Level 3?

I AM A BUSINESS TRAVELLER, WHERE CAN I FIND A LIST OF OPEN ACCOMMODATION ESTABLISHMENTS UNDER ALERT LEVEL 3?   If you are a business traveller and looking for accommodation that is currently operating, please click here for a national...

I have a guest from a high-risk country, that arrived after 9 March 2020, what must I do?

Published:  June 2020   Under Alert Level 3, there is no distinction between a foreigner from a high-risk country or any other country.   Under Alert Level 3, implemented on 1 June 2020, foreign tourists that arrived in...


What are the rules related to public transport under Alert Level 3?   With the increase in the number of people returning to work and learners and students returning to institutions of learning, long-distance public transport crossing...

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By agreeing you accept the use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.

Privacy Settings saved!
Privacy Settings

When you visit any web site, it may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Control your personal Cookie Services here.

In order to use this website we use the following technically required cookies
  • wordpress_test_cookie
  • wordpress_logged_in_
  • wordpress_sec

Decline all Services
Accept all Services