This FAQ relates to Alert Level 4. For more information about accommodation services under Alert Level 3, please click here.
The Disaster Management Regulations issued on 29 April 2020, regulating Alert Level 4, state the following:
Movement between provinces, metropolitan areas and districts are prohibited except for:
- For workers who have a permit to perform an essential or permitted service who have to commute to and from work on a daily basis;
- The attendance of a funeral (as allowed for in the regulations);
- The transportation of mortal remains; and
- For learners who have to commute to and from school or higher education institutions on a daily basis once those institutions are permitted to operate.
ONCE OFF ALLOWANCE FOR MOVEMENT ACROSS PROVINCES
In addition, on 14 May 2020, the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) published Directions making allowance for once-off movement across provincial borders or between metropolitan and district boundaries during Alert Level 4.
You are allowed to move across provincial borders or between metropolitan and district boundaries for the following reasons:
- You are relocating to a new place of residence,
- Your movement is necessitated due to domestic violence, or
- Your business is relocating to new premises.
The direction also allows for the transport of your goods.
A person who needs to travel to his or her new place of residence or business and to transport goods which are limited to household or office furniture and effects, for the above reasons, is permitted to do so during Alert Level 4.
You need to obtain a permit to travel across provincial, metropolitan or district boundaries from:
- The head of court or a person designated by him or her, or
- the station commander of a police station or a person designated by him or her
You will need to:
- indicate the people that are part of the household that will be required to move; and
- show the relevant:
- lease agreement indicating the date of expiry of the old lease or the date of commencement of the new lease, or
- the proof of purchase of residence and occupation date, or
- the transfer documents attesting to the change of ownership of property, or
- a domestic violence order, or
- proof of change or new occupation of business premises.
Download template permit here
Note that you will also have to adhere to Directions issued by the Minister of Transport.
Any permits issued for purposes of relocating between 7 and 14 May 2020 based on the previous Direction on the once-off movement of persons remains valid.
This is set out in the Disaster Management Regulations issued on 29 April 2020, available here and the Direction on the once-off movement of persons and the transportation of goods for purposes of relocation published on 14 May 2020, available here.
TRAVELLING HOME AFTER BEING IN QUARANTINE OR ISOLATION
If you have been quarantined in one province and need to return to your home in another province, please call the Western Cape hotline on 021 928 4102.